Friday, June 26, 2009

Teaching Goals

A teacher is not what I have always wanted to be. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until I had taken several of my general studies classes that I made a commitment to teach.

As a teacher, I would strive for a classroom that would be conducive to learning. I feel that linear seating allows for more structure in the classroom. However, interest should be stimulated by the display of attractive bulletin boards that are pertinent to the material being taught. The use of supplemental materials such as videos and computers are a must in educational programs. In today`s society everything moves rather quickly and the future generations must be able to keep pace. The world is at our fingertips through these devices. I would also assign projects to reinforce learning. This, of course, would depend on the ability of the groups being taught.

I feel comfortable using an authoritarian type of instruction, although there will be times to use non-authoritarian types as well. My immediate goals were fairly general, but all related to the success of my students. As with most people, one of the reasons I became a teacher was the desire to affect the lives of others. Unfortunately, today many people in our society do not look favorably on teenagers. In many cases, I feel this causes teens to rebel which may result in self-deprecating feelings such as “if that’s what they think about me, I might as well act that way”. I hope to help the teenagers I see every day learn how to combat these feelings and stereotypes. I want them to see that they have the ability to be a great generation. Most of my students are living in a world where their grandparents are living longer, their parents are successful and providing well for their children, and where as teenagers they all have unlimited potential. My students have most of their lives in front of them and more choices on how to live those lives than anyone who has come before them. My responsibility in their lives is to make sure that my students are getting the best education possible so that they can succeed in whatever they choose.

1 comment: